1.23.2011

TSS - Housekeeping Ole'




Good morning folks!

I hope that everyone had a wonderful week.  Mine went by rather quickly.  It was the end of the marking period last week AND the kids were only in school for three days.  Friday was a teacher work day; we had a staff BBQ and played games.  This post is going to be a quickie because I have tons of errands to do and then I'd like to finish my Bloggiesta goals!

Game On

I survived my first week and have to admit, outside of losing weight (down 2.5 pounds) I absolutely love getting to know my teammates better *and* my opponents.  I've found drinking the water has been the easiest.  Even on my day off, I end up drinking as much water as I should to earn the points.  Not surprisingly, chowing down five times a day is the most difficult.  I get the notion about having smaller meals so your body is constantly kept fueled rather than eating three large meals, but man, there are time when I just don't want to put another freakin' thing in my mouth.  Also, I'm struggling with the good habit I created for myself.  You see, I usually go to bed with the tele on and know that's not so good.  Soooo, my "good" habit was to allow for fifteen minutes of quiet time (I didn't want to throw the word meditation out there).  I've been doing this right before bed, thinking it will help me relax and it does the complete opposite!  My body might relax but my mind goes wild.  Changing the habit will cause me to lose 50 points, so I'm just gonna suck it up.

Bloggiesta 

This weekend has also been the bi-annual bloggiesta marathon.  You can see from my list that I've accomplished some of the things that I wanted, but I'm still slacking.  It's really the writing posts that is hurting me.  I'm just not in the writing mood and that effects what I produce heavily.  Today (after grocery shopping and visiting my mom) I'll work on connecting all of my reviews to my Library Thing account.  I do need to eventually come up with some posts for rainy days.  I'm just procrastinating.

Google Reader

I'm still considering how to organize my RSS Feeds.  Sometimes I feel a bit overwhelmed with the amount of blogs in there (although from my understanding and in comparison with others, it's pretty on the average).  I've contemplated going EXTREME and deleting all of my blogs and starting fresh.  But that seems somewhat radical.  I want to comment more and I can't do that if I'm primarily skimming.  It's easy during the summer when I don't work, but during the school year it's pretty tough.

So, readers, how do you handle your RSS Feeds?  Do you organize your feeds in folders? If so, what are your folders?  Do you read certain blogs daily, weekly, monthly?  Any ideas that you might have would be interesting.  


Previous Postings




Reading Round Up


Books, Finished

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins

Books, Continued

A Vindication of the Rights of Women by Mary Wollstonecraft

Books, Beginning

I have no idea!  Will be perusing my shelves this afternoon.

8 comments:

  1. I can't read all the blogs. There are just too many of the them for me. And I don't know anything about RSS feeds.

    What I've done is set up a widget on my own blog, from Blogger, that posts the ten most recent posts to the list of blogs I follow. I follow around 50 or 60 at this point. Two or three times a week, when I have the time once or twice a day, I take at look at these ten blogs. I figure I get to my entire list of 50 or 60 probably twice a month which is more often than I wrote my grandmother when I was a kid.

    And I make no effort to read everything everyone posts. Just can't do it. I read everyone, just not everything.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My new habit is paining me too - like it was actually physically hurting me for awhile and then I found out I was doing something wrong. Hopefully I've fixed it now becaue I really don't wnat to have to change habits!

    As for RSS, I've got a handful of blogs that I keep to read on a daily basis, though I still don't comment on every post. Then I have all the rest set aside in a weekly folder. I try to read these once a week and if I have more time I'll look through them on other days. Seeing a whole week of a blog's post all at one time is interesting because you can start seeing if it's a blog that really interests you in the longterm, you know? Plus you can skim 5-7 post and decide on the 1-2 you want to really read.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so with you on the 5 times a day problem. It feels like so much food!

    As for following, no clue what to do. I've been really bad about commenting on posts since there are just sooo many to read. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm also much better at keeping up with commenting and blog reading during the summer when school is on summer vacation.

    One thing that I've done for my RSS feeds is to set up a daily folder, those the blogs I tend to comment on more often, and read on a daily basis. Other blogs I keep in a more general folder and if that one gets too full, I have to "Mark all as read." It's the only thing I can do to keep it from getting out of hand.

    I also have a few other folders (local news, dogs, etc) that help me to organize things a bit more.

    Good luck and have a good week!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like the Game On diet is working for you. I did it last year and the whole team aspect really helped me. (I couldn't keep it up after the game ended though ... sad to say.)

    As far as my RSS feeds, I tend to be really really strict on who I will add to my "read all the time" folder -- otherwise it just gets too difficult. You just have to realize how much time you really have to visit blogs and narrow down your list to the amount you can reasonably handle. By thinking that way, you'll quickly find out the blogs you really really enjoy reading and the ones you are just reading out of obligation. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've got my Reader organized into days of the week and it depends on how much you comment on my blog which folder you go into! It works for me. I leave all the blogs that I like to read but who never take the time to comment on mine for the weekend. That way I know I can just read/skim and don't need to feel like I have to comment. I try to reorganize every few months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I visit anyone who stops in at my blog. And I randomly stop by blogs now and then. I don't worry about it. I just do what I can.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm terrible with Google Reader these days. Sometimes I only get on once a week and then am overwhelmed by the number of posts some people have (really...why do people post more than once a day?). I just have to accept that I can't get around as much as other bloggers and like Deb says--just do what you can do.

    I do have my Google Reader organized into categories, but they're pretty arbitrary. The only specific ones are for quilting, food, and family/friends (like personal friends). The rest are all categorized based on interest.

    Can't wait to see what you thought of Woman in White!!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!