4.03.2011

TSS - Gators

The Life

Hey ya'll.  Most of you who have been following me on twitter know that this past week D and I went to the Everglades to go biking.  More specifically, Shark Valley Trail.  (I KNOW, I thought it was silly too that it is called Shark Valley and yet it's INFESTED with gators.)  Anyways, I thought I would share some of the photos of our adventure.


The open road was nice and flat, which is a relief when biking, especially when we were fighting the wind for most of the trail.  The trail itself is a fifteen mile loop.  We visited it twice while in the Glades.


It might look pretty peaceful in that first picture, but don't let that fool you.  The gators were out and about and ready to say hello.  Some even tried "hiding" for a surprise visit.  Notice where the road is?  Yup, that's where we were biking.


Its claimed that for every alligator that you see there are at least twice more that you don't see.  Can be a wee bit intimidating when looking out at the water along the trail.


This big boy actually had personality.  His mouth is closed in this picture, but it appeared when he wanted to breathe he would open his mouth to do so.  I suggested to D that he had a deviated septum.  We were careful not to run over his tail.


Now this little bugger decided to crawl right out of the water and plop himself smack in the middle of the trail.  Perhaps he wanted to relax a bit in the shade of the trees?  D pointed out that this was perhaps the only animal that she's seen me around that I have not tried to pet.  Perhaps the gnarly teeth dissuaded me?


He finally took leave.  I find how they walk absolutely ridiculous.  It's crazy to imagine how fast these suckers can be seeing how silly they look on feet.

The Blog

Even though I have been gone this whole week, my blog has been busy! (Mainly because I had tons of posts to write and then didn't schedule them appropriately.)  To recap:

  • The Ghost Orchid by Carol Goodman - she didn't disappoint me!
  • Luna by Julie Anne Peters - freakin' amazing author!
  • I, Q by Roland Smith - did someone say spooks?
  • Beastly by Alex Flynn - movie *might* be better?
  • Atlas Shrugged by Ayn Rand - I got your number John Galt!
Oh, and I have my first GIVEAWAY!  If you missed it, since I rarely post on Saturdays, clicky here.  I have an unread copy of Where She Went up for grabs. 

Also, the April Review link is up and running for the GLBT challenge.  Make sure you link up!


The Books

This week I finished:

This up and coming week, I plan on reading:



Ummmm! And it's the Read-a-Thon this Saturday.  Whoot.  I have no idea what I'll be reading, but I have plenty of new books to choose from.

12 comments:

  1. I have to say, taking a biking trip to the Everglades has got to be the coolest spring break vacation I've ever heard of. I can't wait for the day when we can take a movement-heavy vacation!

    And those gators?? Wow! I cracked up laughing when I got to the one in the shadow. :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. OMG!!!! That is so scary!!! And yes that one did look funny walking on it's feet... but scary too because he looked just like a short dinosaur LOL. I could never do that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeesh, look at all those gators! That's crazy. I don't care for them in person, I much prefer them fried with a good tartar sauce. :)

    (My driver's ed teacher, who admittedly was a bit crazy, had two white alligators living in his backyard. He assured us they were tame but I didn't buy it.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I cannot imagine begin brave enough to ride my bike past gators and not worry constantly that they were going to run out and get me! And, you took photos!

    ReplyDelete
  5. A fabulous but scary trip by the looks of it.

    I just saw you have Die For Me too.Squee!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think alligators are kind of cool, however I would not want to see one in person. I do think their back legs/feet are hysterical.

    The Shark Valley infested with Alligators made me laugh so hard. I'm glad you had fun on your adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh my. Infested is right!!! I'd be freaking out!!!! You are brave!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This post had me cracking up. I'll never forget going down to Fl for the first time and seeing all the gators just chilling along the side of the road. Freaked me right out.

    I'm going to be down in Orlando in July...isn't that where you are? If so, we should meet up!

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of those gators would freak me out. I've never seen one in the wild before, and I think the only benefit for me would be that I might bike faster (as opposed to hopping off at the difficult parts and walking the bike). :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um, ok does bike = bicycle or motorcycle? Because I'm not even sure I could handle that on a motorcycle but on a bike? Helllllll no! What an adventure!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cool trip. That pic of him walking on all fours made me laugh. I had no idea they looked so silly!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wow, you are more adventurous than I am. I have to tell you that I would not be so daring to go on those trails.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!