5.20.2011

DNF - The White Devil

S'okay, I hardly ever write posts about DNF books, but in this situation I really feel like it's one of those: it was me, NOT the book.  In fact, I requested the book from netgalley because EVERYONE'S reviews were so incredible.


And yet, I just couldn't get into the novel.  Try as I might.  And it even had all of the elements I adore in a good story: mystery, ghosts, plus private schools in England?!


*sigh*


What's worse, I can't exactly figure out what went wrong.  Perhaps it was my mood every time I picked it up.  


For any such reason and since I'm unable to offer up a review, I thought I'd share some others:
"I loved this book. I didn’t expect it when I started, somehow, but after a few pages, I was already gripped."
~ Leeswammes Blog 


"I stayed up late to finish The White Devil. It was the exact reading experience I wanted after The Secret History: fast-paced, a bit silly (but no less enjoyable for that), and totally boardingschooly"
~ Jenny's Books

"Justin Evans, he brings the goosebumps. Not quite like R.L. Stine, but he’s good. I mean, when the air would go cold, I would be all, WHAT IS GOING ON HERE? Because that is what you say when scary things happen: WHAT IS GOING ON HERE?"
~ Good Books and Good Wine

"The White Devil is an incredibly creepy novel that successfully straddles that thin line between mystery and horror"
~ S. Krishna's Books

"British boarding schools, Lord Byron, and the ghost of a dead gay lover – can it really get any better than this? I rarely take review copies anymore, but as soon as I read the blurb on this one, I knew I had to read it."
~ The Zen Leaf

3 comments:

  1. :( I'm so sorry it didn't work out for you Christina.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shame it wasn't good for you. I get books like that periodically -- they have all the things I want in a book, but I just can't get into them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shame it wasn't good for you. I get books like that periodically -- they have all the things I want in a book, but I just can't get into them.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!