11.25.2011

130 Million Books!! Oyvey!

If you haven't guessed, I've been rather lazy this week off.  Oh sure, I brought home papers to grade (they're still in file folders) and my grade book to enter online (its still on the dining room table) and books to create new lesson plans from (I'm working on a graffiti unit for nonfiction) BUT I've done none of it.  And it kinda feels good.

Instead, I've been reading, visiting with friends, catching up on reviews, and even watching some of my DVR'd shows.  Oh, and I got my hair did.

Life's pretty good you know?  I'm feeling in flow.

AND THEN I stumble upon this article via Book Riot.  It's a real upper and grabs you right away from the headline:  There are 130 Million Books in the World, How Many Have You Read?


Nice huh?  'Cuz if you're OCD like me, *I* started hyperventilating.  And not because I don't think that I read enough, or I'm soooo obsessive that I have to beat the competition in reading.  Nope, it's because I immediately start thinking omg what am I missing?  Soooo many books.  Lust.  Drool. Not. Enough. Time.


Breaking Down the Article


Yovetich opens with: Hey, so once people hear that I'm in the book industry, they all wann ask HAVE YOU READ THIS BOOK. And guess what folks, reality says that there are too many out there for us to end up reading the same ones SANS the Oprah Book Club/NYTs Bestseller/Pop Culture picks/Trusted Classics Taught in High School and College.

*nods* Right?!  I mean, THINK about it.  I luuurve all of you guys but most often when you review a book I have not read it.  And I'm okay with that, cuz it means there's just more books out there that I want to read...(until I hyperventilate and realize that I can't possibly read them all, which is where I ended up deciding to write this post).

Also, YAY, I'm considered a heavy reader since I read over 100 books a year.  This does me fine because it doesn't conflict with my other Life Enjoyments (family, friends, tv, HAPPY HOUR!) After namedropping other wordly bookworms (Thomas Jefferson, you're my homie) he leaves with the most important question of it all.

The Most Important Question of It All


"So the question, then, isn’t how many have you read, but what have they meant to you?"

Best. Question. Ever.  it just goes back to the quality vs. quantity.  


I know I've been reading a lot of YA lately.  It's not as though I meant to.  There was no moment in the middle of the year where I decided to set classics and contemporary aside.  There just seemed to be an influx of all of these cool looking YA titles that I wanted to pick up.  And for the most part, all of them have been really enjoyable.  Sure, they might not always give me a lot of fodder to think about, but that's not what I've needed after a long day of work.

I'm okay with this because the books are giving me the reprieve that I need.  Just like rereads give folks the calming moments in their life.  Or Jane Austen, who, in my opinion, ends up being a universal comfort author.

I've stopped keeping track of how many books I read in a month.  Sure, I keep an ongoing list of books that I've read, but only because it's nice to reminisce.  I have to admit, it's been pretty nice.  I know that I'll still end up reading thereabouts 100, but it's not a goal.  I'm just moseying along.

I'm all right being in the mosey lane for 2012.

4 comments:

  1. Love this post! I got the same feeling when I saw the article. I kept wondering how I could survive with only reading approximately 50,000 books in my life time when there are so many other ones out there. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. 130 million! Why do I waste my time with sleep! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yikes! I need to carve out more time for reading. What I really thought when I read this is that I need to do a better job of abandoning books I don't like. I have a hard time not finishing after I've started, but it such a waste of time. Thanks for reminding that there are too many good books out there to read bad ones.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the moseying way. I've started doing that (ever since last year) and while I read MUCH less than I used to when i was keeping track, I'm less stressed about it. Should be quality versus quantity. I think in general too many bloggers get caught up in the numbers or reading so many books to have adquate blog material or fulfilling challenges, etc, that they forget about why they're reading in the first place (could be wrong or just speaking for self).

    130 million. Wow.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!