6.04.2012

Armchair BEA - Interview

 


Please tell us a little bit about yourself: Who are you? How long have you been blogging? Why did you get into blogging?

 I **hate** coming up with something interesting about myself to share in the 'who are you' q's.  Seriously.  I probably have maddening subconscious dreams induced by anxiety over these kinds of questions as well as oh so what's your favorite book, who's your favorite author.  I figure if I take part in enough "interviews" over the course of my life one of two things will happen: (1) I'll finally develop a knack and be able to answer any spontaneous question or (2) everyone will see just as neurotic I am.  I'm guess two is the most likely.

I've been blogging for about three or four years and I think I started because I found my memory is shoddy and I needed to know that I truly had read a book.  Then, I started talking to some folks and it made the whole blogosphere warm and fuzzy.   

What are you currently reading, or what is your favorite book you have read so far in 2012?

I am actually reading four books right now.  I KNOW!  I'm reading The Stand by Stephen King, Wuthering Heights by Bronte, Man's Search for Meaning by V. Frankl, and The House of Night series by P C Cast.  

As far as my favorites so far for 2012? The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making by Catherynne Valente (and her next one is almost here!); The Mill on the Floss by George Elliot; Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn; and The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas. 

Tell us one non-book-related thing that everyone reading your blog may not know about you.

I have a herd of cats.  Well, if you consider four a herd.  I wouldn't stop there if I was left to my own devices.  I also want a wombat, a meerkat, a goat, and generally anything else that is cute and cuddly.  [Why yes, I think goats are cuddly].  Di keeps me in check, mainly because she knows she' d be in charge of the clean up.  *snicker*

 What is your favorite feature on your blog (i.e. author interviews, memes, something specific to your blog)?
Yeah, I'm not a 'good blogger' when it comes to these catchy things.  I lack consistency and tend to only post my thoughts about the books that I'm reading. And usually not very eloquently. Sometimes I write about teaching.    

Where do you see your blog in five years?

Probs doing the same thing I'm doing right now. ;-)  

Which is your favorite post that you have written that you want everyone to read?

I don't know if I really have one?  How about a random list of 25 things about me? 

If you could eat dinner with any author or character, who would it be and why?

Okay, my initial reaction is Emma from Jane Austen because she is just awesome and I love her and want to chat about books, life, and gossip.  But then there's a HUGE part of me that desperately wants to meet up with Edmond Dantes from The Count of Monte Cristo.  Seriously?  That man is such a detailed and devoted person I can't imagine all of the stories he could tell about his life and travels.    

What literary location would you most like to visit? Why?

Oh this one is easy too!  I would love to travel around Europe and follow everywhere Jane went when she was alive.  Hmmm....or Edgar Allan Poe.  Seriously.  Just send me to Europe.  I'll take care of the rest.

What is your favorite part about the book blogging community? Is there anything that you would like to see change in the coming years?

I love the community itself.  I adore doing readalongs because then I have someone to TALK to about what I'm reading.  It truly is a BIG DEAL for me to have people to chat with about books.  

Have your reading tastes changed since you started blogging? How?

Oh my gosh they sure have.  Prior to blogging I had no idea what a cozy mystery was (and now I dig me some Aunt Dimity like no one's bidness), I didn't read classics because I had considered myself "burnt out" from my lit degree... And well, just in general.  There's been so many phenomenal books that I've stumbled upon BECAUSE of the book community.  It's also been a great help finding decent Tween and YA books for my 100+ kiddos.

22 comments:

  1. Meh, Europe... Hehehe, nah it's ok here. Kind of. I've been to Jane Austen's house you know! It's sort of in the middle of nowhere, and the bus drops you off on the side of a really busy road, BUT if you get there without dying, it's really nice! Hehe.

    ps Yay the book blogging community! :D

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good Morning! Welcome to Armchair BEA. It is a pleasure to meet you! I agree with you on Cozy mysteries! Sometimes it is just the right pick!

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've heard so many great things about The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland, I know I have to read it!

    Thanks for joining Armchair BEA!

    Amanda

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hehe we're pet people in this house too! 2 dogs, a cat, 3 snakes, a tortoise, a bearded dragon, an argus monitor, a mouse, and a tarantula. We didn't really go the way of cute and cuddly though! We also used to have a hedgehog and a scorpion. Weird, I know. ;o)

    Mickey @ imabookshark

    Come visit my introduction? Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I completely understand about hating coming up with answers to random questions, hopefully we get better at it, the more "interviews" we do. And as for literary location, great pick in Europe! It is definitely the best place for literary travelling.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great answer for why you blog! I always forget whether I've read a book or not. Hopeless!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Woo-hoo, four cats! I just got my first kitty, and I already kind of want more... the honeyman won't let that happen though, at the very least until we have a house.

    Happy ABEA!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ha! Having people to chat books with is a big thing for me too. :D

    ReplyDelete
  9. I had something of crush on Edmond Dantes for a while there :D Great pick.

    And pffft, 4 cats is NOt a herd! I have 4 cats too, and I don't have a herd, so, you know... :D And there's the occasional little kitty I see and my eyes go all twinkly and huge, but meh, I'm limiting my pet needs to 4, lol.

    Having peeps to chat with about books is definitely a big plus, it's a really important thing to me too. Especially since all my book-talk buddies are bloggers from half way around the world...*sigh* Not a lot reading going on in my friends& acquaintances circles, sadly.

    Anyways, loved to learn more about you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I agree about the community giving you a "warm and fuzzy" feeling. I've made some good friends through blogging. Enjoyed your interview - you're getting the hang of it. :)

    Hope you enjoy Armchair BEA!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love the fact that you refer to your cats as a herd!

    Nice to meet you.
    Sandy

    ReplyDelete
  12. The Stand is my favorite book of all time!! I really hope that you love it!

    I have been meaning to pick up a copy of The Girl who Circumnavigated Fairyland to read with my daughter. I am so glad to see that you loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I really need to read THE STAND. There are so many books I "really need" to read. I will never catch up. Hahaha!

    I'll be re-reading THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO for Jillian's Classics Club. I'll have to keep the dinner date in mind while I'm reading.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I would totally be missing out on so many different and great books if it weren't for the blogging community. I know I for sure wouldn't have given them a second glance at my library on my own!

    Isabel

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi there,

    Nice to meet you:D

    Awww the cat herder. Nice ! I love cats:D

    Have a great day!

    Michelle

    ReplyDelete
  16. Those are some serious chunksters in your first answer. Hats off to you for bravery! I can only do one or two per year.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm reading The Stand too! Woohoo! Are you reading it for Trish's read-a-long?? I've been meaning to visit all of the participants but I haven't found the time yet. I read Wuthering Heights last year and enjoyed it but I didn't really care for any of the characters. Weird, huh? Hope you have fun participating in Armchair BEA this week!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've only done one read-a-long, but I loved it as well! I really need to find more of them. Hm.

    Are you enjoying the House of Night series? I haven't gotten all caught up yet--I sort of lost interest around #6 or 7, but I really want to finish out the series. Maybe I'll have to give them another shot.

    I hope you enjoy ArmchairBEA!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I think 4 definitely qualifies as a herd when it comes to cats. Emma would be so much fun to hang out with. Also, woo hoo for the Standalong!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh, my! I too would LOVE to follow some Austen footprints in England one day. That would be INCREDIBLE.

    Enjoy Withering Heights (Har!)

    ReplyDelete
  21. A herd of cats? I want a herd of cats, I currently have two, but if we lived in a bigger place we would definitely have a few more. :)

    Enjoy Wuthering Heights - I loved it. :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. I have the same love for Europe :) Just get me there and enough money for a month of travel and I'll come back home a happy woman.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!