12.20.2012

Shatter Me

Title: Shatter Me
Author: Tahereh Mafi
Pub: 2011; Harper
Pages: 338
Genre: Young Adult, Series, Dysfic

Did anyone else immediately think X-Men when reading the summary of this one?  If she touches you, you die!!  Enter Rogue.  Only not really...because at least Rogue found others like her and poor Juliette got sent away to a prison.   Isolation even.  For a seriously LONG time.

Aaaand then enters a kid from her old 'hood.  His butt gets thrown into the solitary cell, making it not so solitary.  Adam doesn't seem to recognize her and she goes through all of the emotions like: can I trust him or not?  AND he's so dreamy AND I don't want him to know I'm a monster because my touch will kill him.

But there's a bigger master plan going on.  The Reestablishment - crazy government in this dystop- decides that maaaybe they shouldn't have locked up Juliette and instead use her as a masterful weapon against the good guys.

There's a struggle.  And another hottie that enters the front.  Although, I don't know  if we can really call him a hottie when he is actually suppose to be evil.

Bottom line though?  The book was a quick read, but fairly forgettable.  I'm not quite sure why I had it stashed away on the shelves.  Especially because the cover isn't all that impressive either.

Of course this is going to be a trilogy (series?)  Who knows if I'll read the next one.  I suppose if it pops up on my shelves unexpectedly also, I might.

5 comments:

  1. I enjoyed this when I read it, but it was definitely forgettable (as in, a month after I read it, I barely remembered it, and now that it's been over a year, I remember nothing, except all the scratch-outs in the narrative - that was this one, right?).

    ReplyDelete
  2. PS I said more in paranthesis in that comment than I did for the comment itself, which is kinda awesome. :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. I felt the exact same way. I have no desire to read the rest of the series, as I know there are so many other much better books out there that I will remember two days later!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I had the instinct to be interested in this book, because I do truly like scary dystopian type books. But there are just too many now, and a lot of them are mediocre. I'm sort of on a break from them. And vampire books. It's severely cutting back on the YA fiction I'm able to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is tragic that it is so forgettable. If the book is forgettable then there is really no point in continuing to read. Normally the sequel is worse than the first book so it might not be worth the effort.


    Please Visit my website : Online PhD UK

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!