8.13.2009

Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List

Title: Naomi & Ely's No Kiss List
Authors: Rachel Cohn and David Levithan
Pub Date: 2007
Pages: 256
Genre: Young Adult; Realistic Fiction

Brief Summary? Naomi and Ely are best friends. They have been best friends for-EVER, growing up in Greenwich Village. It was just assumed that they would get married, have lots of babies, and live happily ever after. And then, Ely realized he was gay. To avoid complications, Naomi and Ely create a no kiss list. Obviously. Except, hidden complications begin to arise. Like, Ely kissing Naomi's boyfriend. Or Naomi being in love with Ely.

My thoughts? OK. As many of you might remember, I gushed over Nick and Norah, so maybe my expectations were a bit too high for Naomi and Ely. Don't get me wrong, I am still fond of Naomi and Ely, okay, well, admittedly, more Ely than Naomi. Well, quite honestly, I thought Naomi was a bit of a selfish bitch. *sigh* I can't help it. I just didn't really deal with her all that well. Maybe because everyone else in her world couldn't stop gushing, thinking she was the coolest chick ever? There was just no heart there. It was actually Nick and Bruce #2's story that kept me engaged. Bruce #2 is/was Norah's boyfriend. Oh, there's a whole gaggle of Bruces and that was kind of fun. I know this is sorta disjointed, but the book kinda felt like a teenybopper soap opera. Perhaps I should have taken this a bit more serious? The emotions that Naomi was going through, dealing with her unrequited love for Ely. Maybe I'm the coldhearted bitch, because I just kept thinking, "C'mon, you're in college. Really? You really believed that him liking boys would not effect how he saw you?".

Yay, Nay, Eh? Still a Yay. Just not a bouncy Yay. Read it for Ely and Bruce #2. Or...read it in order to convince me that Naomi is a worthwhile character.

6 comments:

  1. I just finished Boy Meets Boy last night and I'm still in full gush mode over it. Sorry to hear that this one wasn't as great as you'd hoped. It's hard sometimes..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've only read Boy Meets Boy by Levithan, but this one's on my list for this month. I admit, I hope I enjoy it more than you did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this book, and I did like Naomi, but I'm not sure what I can say to convince you :P She wasn't perfect, but in the end I did like her. Like you said, she was used to having everyone gush about her. She knew she was beautiful and she wasn't above using that power to get what she wanted. But by the end of the book, she realized that she'd hurt people, and she learned what it was like to get hurt herself. I guess it was that growth, plus the fact that she seemed so human that made me like her.

    Anyway, I have Nick & Norah on my tbr pile and can't wait :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I do have this one on my list to read. I have read mixed reviews on it,but it still appeals to me.

    ReplyDelete
  5. God, I'm so behind in my reading. I still haven't even read Nick and Norah (though I did Tivo it tonight!).

    This actually sounds like something I would really like. Nice review!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Michelle - I just qued Boy meets Boy from the library!

    Amanda - I hope you do too. It was good; I just liked Nick & Norah so much better. :)

    Nymeth - True Naomi showed growth (thank god) but I still wanted to grab her by her shoulders shake her really hard and shout, "Are you kidding me?" LOL.

    Vivienne - Definitely read it. I want to hear what you think. Did you read Nick & Norah yet?

    Stephanie - Haha, that's how I felt. I'm still playing catch up.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!