4.20.2010

Logicomix


Title: Logicomix: An Epic Search for Truth
Authors/Illustrators: Apostolos Doxiadis, Christos Papadimitriou,Aleos Papadatos & Annie DiDonna
Pub Date: 2009
Pages: 352
Genre: Graphic Novel, Philosophy,
Challenges: GN

"Most humans behave irrationally. All the more reason to pursue the study of logic. Of course, I am also human and thus am no stranger to fits of non-logical thinking. But also I can discern these tendencies in myself and thus am more able to resist them..." (69)


I can totally relate to Bertrand Russel here. I mean, how irrational was it for me to read Logicomix during the RaT. Man alive were my eyes droopy, my brain swishy, and my body stiff. (Remember, this book was also the one that caused my BI).

But I read it. And for the most part really dug it. Even though I cannot remember why I purchased this book. I think, most likely, I was in a reading slump and after perusing through the graphic novels section in my bookstore I saw the title of this one and thought to myself, "Geez, I haven't read much nonfiction and my brain could probably need a jump start. And what do you think, this book sounds smart...and I'm always seeking out Truth. With that capitol T, mind you, for emphasis..."
Viola. It was mine.

And outside of some of the mumbo jumbo references in mathematics and philosophy that left me lost, it was pretty good and helped me become unlost.

Poor Russel had an awkward childhood. His parents left him to her grandmother after their untimely death. Oh yeah, and they were super progressive living as a menage a trois. His grandmamama was a rigid old lady who had rules, rules, rules. His gramps seemed pretty cool though - free-spirited and all. Then, he finds out craziness runs rampant in his family. *le sigh* Is it no wonder that dear ole' Bertie spent his life seeking out logic. He probably felt trapped in the illogical sorts that his world turned out to be.

Which, people, was why this book was so rad. I totally got Russel's desire to seek out logic because it was very human to do when your life was so questionable.

Plus it was neat to meet other philosophers and thinkers along the way.

The commentary was a bit distracting and that's probably what I liked the least about it. The book was all very meta - a story within a story as the authors talked about writing the book while the audience read the book. It's a cool technique that I've seen done elsewhere successfully. This time around, though, not so much.


All in all a very recommendable read. Even if you don't like mathematics that much. :P

1 comment:

Talk to me!