9.11.2011

TSS - Some Thoughts

Some thoughts:

  • Today is the ten year anniversary of 9/11.  My students ranged from 2 - 5 years old.  It's strange that they don't have a concrete memory.
  • I was working at a country club.  My roommate and I e-mailed back & forth with updates.  If we were texters back then, we'd probably been texted.
  • For awhile, I held on to a copy of that e-mail exchange.Since then, though, it's been lost along with many e-mail accounts.
  • I was lucky enough to not know anyone personally involved.
  • I was also lucky enough to not know anyone who knew anyone personally involved.
  • I remember being especially touched by the Jon Stewart show.  His genuine emotion upon returning to the studios was powerful.
  • Watching the visuals over and over again that day almost made it seem unreal.  Surreal? 
  • Since then, I have known many people to serve in the military.
  • I think they are all brave.
  • And regardless of your politics, I'd like to think that we all support our troops.



5 comments:

  1. I was lucky enough not to know anyone in the towers themselves, but my sister lived in NYC and was half a mile away in her ballet studio when the towers hit. We couldn't get ahold of her for hours and had no idea if she was okay. Just a few days before, her boyfriend had been visiting and she had taken him up the towers. It was really scary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It shocks me that it has been ten years since this tragedy. A couple years ago I went to both Ground Zero and the Pentagon to see the sites, very surreal still.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Jon Stewart's show as well -- it was a couple of weeks later, wasn't it? I always cry when I watch that intro he gives.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I remember Jon Stewart's show as well -- it was a couple of weeks later, wasn't it? I always cry when I watch that intro he gives.

    ReplyDelete
  5. 2-5 years old--wow. My brother was 5 and doesn't have any memory of the event. I don't think it's a day we'll ever forget.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!