1.08.2012

TSS Readalong anyone?

'Ello folks!  How goes it on this sunny Sunday morning?  Us Floridians had a cool front come in earlier this week, which means, essentially, we had NO IDEA what to do with ourselves.  Ice on the grass?  Frost on the window? Pull out the mittens, pull out the boots, where in the world is my winter coat.  My students asked if I was leaving class to go skiing.  But MAN the heater wasn't TRULY working in my classroom.  If I can blow smoke and I'm NOT smoking we might have a problem, Houston.

But we survived.  And now the weather is moving along to a content and peaceful 70 degrees.  D is bummed because, since shoulder surgery, we haven't been able to take on these gorgeous days and kayak.  Oh, and it was our four year anniversary.  *yay* *hugs* *snuggles*  We celebrated and I had a yummy gingerbread martini to DIE FOR.

So I've been thinking about tackling the book Roots for my main February read, you know, in respect to Black History Month.  I saw the mini-series waaaaaaay back when I was a tyke of a kid.  So I can't really remember anything.  Does someone end up in jail?  Or is that just my childish memory recreating scenes that didn't exist.  Anyways, I'm committing to reading this for sure, but thought I'd put it out there if anyone else was into reading it and if so, I would be more organized and create a reading plan for a readalong.  So leave a "me me me me" in the comments if your diggin' where I'm coming from and would like to tackle this beast as well.



As far as reading goes, I'm still reading strong w/ the Norwegian Wood readalong.  Thoughts posted weekly on Tuesday.  I also dove into The Mill on the Floss by George Elliot, even though in my head I constantly refer to it as The Floss on the Mill.  *shrugs*  I'm a lil' nutso sometimes.    I generally don't care to much for children characters.  You know, like, I have no desire to be a mom so the younguns just don't do it for me...but man, do I dig me some Maggie.  She is one precocious tyke.  Also, I wonder if I can make wench a term of endearment again.  "Come here, ye ole' wench!"  Yes?

Okay, I'm off to seek out a new place to workout since my instructor changed hours.  Boo.  Enjoy your day.  And MerriHo, Once Upon a Time returns tonite, wench!

____
Oooh, and I'm making black-eyed peas...a week late for good luck, but it should still count right? RIGHT??


3 comments:

  1. If I can get my hands on a copy by then I shall be joining you. I'm going to look into a interlibrary loan for this one.

    I've never read Roots but it's been on my TBR list forever.

    I also saw the movie when I was young and I don't remember much of it, but a few scenes traumatized me and stuck in my mind to this day. Funnily enough, a few days ago I realized that Levar Burton was the lead. Holy crap! (Not exactly what I said, but close).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would definitely consider it but I've already committed to another read-a-long... Is this one a dense read? I know it's 900-something pages..

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you're enjoying Maggie. :) I loved that book!

    I might be game. I've wanted to read it for a long time...let me see if I can get my hands on a copy, but I think I could manage it.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!