3.07.2010

TSS - What to read next?

Hey Saloners! This has been an insane week. I handle all yearbook affairs at school, and my deadline is next week. Thirty six more pages to complete and then I can put the book to rest. I have a love/hate relationship with year book. :)
Needless to say, I have done very little reading (fingers crossed that will change this coming week). Luckily I've also done very little reviewing, so there should be two or three postdated reviews coming up.
Anways, Spring Break is just around the corner and I'm packing up my Kindle for our little road trip. My marvelous mom gave me an amazon gift card so I could pick up a new book (or two) just for the occasion. But here's the thing -there are so many that I want to read. My personal rules for kindle books are pretty easy: (1) no children's or YA - since I teach, I like to have these available to include in my classroom library if I really enjoyed it and (2) shouldn't be a book that I think I'll want to mark up or bond heavily with.
Here are some fun books that I have had on my wishlist. Nothing too heavy:
The Amazing Adventures of Dietgirl by Shauna Reid - This is a memoir of how Shauna, once 351 pounds, lost over 170. On top of sounding like a smurfy inspirational read, it's a bit of a travel log as she shares her experiences from Australia to Paris.
Carrion Comfort by Dan Simmons - This is a horror, vampire tomb sitting at 600+ pages. But what separates this one is one character is a psychologist & concentration camp survivor who is attempting to track down a Nazi vampire.
Breathers: A Zombie Lament by SG Browne - Really? How could I possibly not wanna read this one? A love story between friendly zombies. Yay!
The Strain by Guillermo Del Toro - OK. This says it all: "The Strain is everything you want from a horror novel--dark, bloody, and packed full of mayhem and mythology." (Amazon).
Sorrow Wood by Raymond Atkins - Part romance, part mystery, part spooky. The reviews that I read about this one is that I'll truly laugh out loud. It sorta reminds me a bit of Twin Peaks with reincarnation?
Haunting Bombay by Shilpa Agarwal - This one's probably not so much as a light feel good book but rather one that I think I'll devour it once I start. A family filled with pain haunted by the superstitious past.
Mating Rituals of the North American WASP by Lauren Lipton - A nice warm fuzzy romance. Fun in the (cool) sun, right?
Eternal on the Water by Joseph Monninger - A love story that opens with the woman, Mary's, death. The setting through out the novel is nature, which appeals to me since I'll be vacationing with my kayak.
The Unseen by Alexandra Sokoloff - Yet another spooky tale where psychologists investigate poltergeist activity.
Dark Places by Gillian Flynn - I really loved Flynn's debut novel, Sharp Objects. This one is more of a crime thriller.
One Foot Wrong by Sofie Laguna - I almost snagged this book on Bookmooch, but missed out. It's only available right now in Australia. From Amazon, "Told entirely in the solipsistic point of view of Hester, the only child of paranoid, abusive parents, the novel pursues the girl's deeply troubling relationship with them and their bizarre world view. ".
So, what do you think? Which one (or two) should I purchased. Do you have any other suggestions?

4 comments:

  1. I selfishly want to say The Strand, so you can tell me if it's worth my time ;) I've seen some mixed reviews of it and can't quite decide if it'd be for me. I haven't actually read any of the others, so I can't offer an informed opinion, but Eternal on the Water also sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Eternal on Water and loved it so would definitely recommend that one! It's not a light beach read but a great story!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've not read any of those, so I can't say which one you should choose.

    I'd like to invite you and your readers to join in on my poetry survey. I'm looking for your ten favorite classic poems. Read more about it here.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved Eternal on the Water, as you know from my review. :) I thought it'd be cheesy, but it was just right. AND nature and I don't get along so well, so that's a plus.

    It'll be awesome if you read this before you kayak, haha.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!