11.16.2009

Zombie Haiku

Title: Zombie Haiku
Author: Ryan Mecum
Pages: 160
Pub Date: 2008
Genre: Zombies, Poetry


Zombie Haiku uses the Japanese Haiku form 5-7-5 to tell the story of a man who observes his world overtaken by zombies and his eventual demise into becoming one.

I didn't know it actually told a story through the haiku. I just expected funny little poems about eating brains. The tale told in poems really worked and made this not only a fun and spooky read, but a plotted one as well. (Plus, I had just seen Zombieland in the theaters right before reading this quirky thing. I was definitely in the right mental mind).

Here are some fun examples from the book:

I loved my momma
I eat her with my mouth closed,
how she would want it.


Little old ladies
speed away in their wheelchairs,
frightened meals on wheels.

He tends to not flinch
though I'm yelling in his ear
which is in my hand.

Finally, check out his website.

2 comments:

Talk to me!