7.21.2011

The Goddess Test

Author: Aimee Carter
Pages: 304
Pub: 2011; Harlequin Teen
Genre: Young Adult, Mythology, Series
Etc: Library Thing via Net Galley

The Short of It

Hades needs a new wife; pronto!

The Long of It

Kate’s mom is dying and she is determined to get back to her hometown, Eden. Kate isn’t too thrilled about the change and is not handling the eventual death of her mom. At. All.  Her decision is to just go to high school, graduate, spend as much time with her mom, and then move away. Except, it appears that there are other forces entreating her destiny.  First she meets and manages to irritate the goddess, Ava, at her new high school.  THEN, she befriends the weird kid that no one else is friends with, James.  And finally, things get a bit weird whens he meets Henry and watches him bring back someone from death.

It’s at this point that her true destiny begins to unfold.  Henry confesses that he is actually Hades and his wife, Persephone, has abandoned him.  In order for him to survive, he must remarry.  BUT the girl must be worthy to become a goddess.  Using Kate’s love and devotion for her mom, she agrees to move in with Henry and subject herself to the goddess tests. 

The Thoughts about It

I really REALLY wanted to read this book.  When NetGalley initially declined me I boo-hoo’ed all my way over to LibraryThing’s Early Review program and hot damn, I scored myself a copy.  It took a bit of time to get access (and then I sorta forgot about the e-mail allowing for access), which is why this book as been out for a couple of months, and I’m just now getting to it.

First, I have to admit that I read it in one sitting.  Which at least indicates PARTIALLY what I thought about it, right?  And I did really dig it.  At least most of it.

Here’s the thing, I FREAKIN’ was STOKED about the story line that Hades loved his wife Persepohne so much that he relinquished from her duties and she fell in love with some mortal and eventually died.  (How’s that for a separate story line anyways, right?!  Come on Carter, is it in your plan?  A prequel perhaps?)  Clever, clever.

And also, when the whole story came along and everything clicked together I was pretty contenct.  Let’s just say that the buy-in factor didn’t get me.  Cuz you know, here’s Kate and she sees Ava die and Henry bring her back to life and then proceeds to TELL THEM that she was brought back to life and everyone is all HUNKY DORIE about the blasted necromancer sport going on and my RATIONAL side is going wait, wait wait and HOLD YOUR HORSES.  What the heck is going on?  How am I suppose to believe that?  (And who knows maybe others of you figured out what was going on at first and I could stick a pencil in my ear and pull it out the other side cuz ain’t nothing blocking it in there.  I can be dense sometimes).  But then, like I said, at the end you’re all like “ooooh yeah, I GET IT now!” and there’s a bit of a sigh of relief and contentment that makes you feel warm and fuzzy inside. 

Maybe not a bestselling YA but it’s a series I’ll continue reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!