7.22.2011

Secrets, Monsters, & Magic Mirrors


Author: Stephanie True Peters
Pages: 176
Pub: 2011; Stone Arch
Genre: Comics, Fairy Tales
Etc: Net Galley

The Short of It

Cherished fairy tales with pretty pictures.

The Long of It

An illustrated collection of six favorite fairy tales: Beauty and the Beast, Rapunzel, Princess and the Pea, Snow White, and Thumbelina. (Not much longer than the short of it, eh?)

The Thoughts about It

S’okay, when I read the summary and saw “retelling” and then saw the cover, a HUGE part of me thought that these fairy tales would take on a unique yarn.  They didn’t.  At least I don’t think they did.  (It’s been a long time since I’ve read Thumbelina).  Found within are some of our classic childhood fairy tales with pretty gorgeous illustrations.  I was the most excited to read the Princess and the Pea and Thumbelina again.  I feel like those two are often short-sited in the fairy tale realm.  Afterward, I realized I’m not as big of a fan of the PatP but I for sure fell in love with Thumbelina again.

This collection is perfect for children as it’s easily accessible in the comic format.  In fact, I wouldn’t mind using a copy for my fairy tale unit in school.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!