4.02.2012

Spellcaster

Title: Spellcaster (Spellbound #2)
Author: Cara Lynn Shultz
Pub: 2012; Harlequin Teen
Pages: 384
Genre: Young Adult, Paranormal, Romance, Series
Etc: props up to NetGalley

 I was UBER excited to find the second in Shultz's series available on NetGally since I devoured the first one last year.  I have to admit, it pleased me in the same guilty-pleasure sorta way.  I read it in a day and had no problem falling back into the story line. [Side tangent - I find series dreadful for this main purpose. If it's been any extended length of time it takes me forever to fall back into the voice of the series.  I wonder why this is different than when I'm watching a television show that's been off season??] 

You might recall, or if you've already read Spellbound, what immediately separates THIS paranormal romance from the rest is THERE ARE NO LOVE TRIANGLES.  Praise the YA heavens for that one, right?  And guess what, folks?  There's still drama.  Yeah, that's right.  We don't have to deal with chapters filled with pining looks and eventual unrequited love.  Rather, Emma and Brendan are lifelong soul mates.  Like the kind books are written about - which is in fact how they found out that they were soul mates.  Emma also recently found out that she was a witch and the timing couldn't be more than perfect since one of her besties is all into Wicca as well.

Unfortunately, a revengeful girl from Brendan's past has come back to town to put an end to the merriment.  Not only is she pissed because Brendan didn't want to be with her, she believes that Emma's blood has magical qualities that will essentially make her invincible.

I know, I know.  The plot summary sounds a little fluffy right?  And it might be, but fluffy in that cool whip fluff which is yum and not that weird cheap jarred fluff sold in the can aisle of the grocery store which seems a bit, er, questionable.

Quite frankly this is a wonderful lay at the beach spring into summer read.  It's fast-paced which means you won't fall asleep under the sun to wake up deep friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Talk to me!