11.23.2012

Bruiser

Title: Bruiser
Author: Neal Shusterman
Pub: 2011; HarperTeen
Pages: 328
Genre: Young Adult, Magical Realism

This book! Man.  I had no idea what to think.  S'okay; Bruiser is this tough melancholic loner that has caught Bronte's eye.  Bronte being the sister to the very alpha-male jock, Tennyson.  This is definitely not acceptable.  I mean, Bruiser's name is Bruiser. Duh.  But still, Bronte's a fixer and she sees something deep within and wants to bring it out.

On a completely personal side note.  I TOTALLY get Bronte.  I so would have done the same in high school.

The thing is, Brew (a more human name once the two realize that he's well, human) has a deep secret which forces him not to let his guard down.  He takes on the from the people he cares about.

How clever of a plotline is that?

The book is told in multiple characters, which I'm usually not a fan of because MOST OF THE TIME each character sounds the same.  And here, maybe they do.  I don't know. I wasn't paying much attention because the whole premise was wicked cool.  I mean, it throws in the question of codependency and what one person feels and who is actually feeling it and MAN!

I loved me some Brew.

Although sometimes I wanted to punch him because really there's only so much someone should take.

The book kinda reminded me of Powder.  Did anyone see that?  I couldn't even tell you if it was a great movie or not seeing as I saw it as a kiddo.  But it did leave an impression on me.

Another totally awesome and wonderful thing?  I got to MEET Neil Shusterman about the same time I was reading this book.  I stumbled upon his tour at the local B&N, which NEVER HAPPENS.  Seriously.  Authors are afraid of Florida, I think.  He's such a cool guy and read from his newest book UnWholly.  

1 comment:

Talk to me!