1.04.2011

Top Ten Tuesday

I thought I would jump on the tuesday list makings occasionally. Who am I to deny an opportunity to make a list? Pullease! Also, it'll be neat to look back to see if I *actually* read the ten that intrigue and interest me the most for 2011.

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson - I found Hell House incredibly scary last year and believe that this haunted house story will live up to its name as well. Plus it made the National Book Finalist in 1960. I know I don't keep up with National Book Awards, but I wonder if it's a rarity that a horror book makes finals?

Locomotion by Jacqueline Woodson - EVERYONE raves about this author. Fans of young adult lit, especially. And I remain ignorant. Awards received: Coretta Scott Honor (2004); ALA Notable (2004); National Book Award finalist (2003); ALA Best Books for Young Adults (2004); Horn Book Best Book (2003); School Library Journal Best Book of the Year (2004). Uh, wow?!?

The Color Purple by Alice Walker - I ADORED the film. It made me laugh, scream, and sob. And damn if Oprah and Whoopi weren't incredible in it. I snagged a copy of the Color Purple from a used bookstore last year and it's been on hold ever since. 2011 is the year it gets read! (Pulitzer Prize winner in fiction, 1983; National Book Award, 1983 to boot!)

Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers by Mary Roach - I have a little secret. Dead people don't freak me out. I mean, like, the cadavers and such. While in grad school I begged a professor of mine to get me into a class where they dissected brains (At the time I had an interest in neuropsychology). He said something about code of ethics or other such silliness, since I wasn't a med student. Er, or enrolled at that school in particular. This book is definitely flagged. Plus, I hear that Roach is a pretty nifty writer.

Ceremony by Leslie Marmon Silko - I did a google search for "magical realism" in books and Ceremony continued to show its face. I know nothing about this book but feel validated because Eva read it and loved it! (American Book Award, 1980)

Define "Normal" by Julie Anne Peters - I have been a long time Julie Anne Peters fan. Have you read her? She's incredible. Her books are realistic and touching, without going over the top feely. One of my students highly recommended Define "Normal". Of course I have to read it.

The Painted Veil by W. Somerset Maugham - I read Of Human Bondage by Maugham whiles ago and immediately thought highly of his work. But then, like many other authors, they go to the wayside, waiting patiently for my silent treatment to end.

Tender Morsels by Margo Lanagan - I have to admit, the ONLY reason why this book is on my shelf is because so many bloggers raved about it. I read a short story collection by Margo Lanagan last year (or the year before?) and HATED IT. It made a rare DNF spot even. Here's to hoping this one is worth it.

On the Road by Jack Kerouac - I went through this huge beat generation phase in college. It was about the time I would spend my evenings hanging out at coffeehouses, drinking and smoking. I was going to be a writer, so of course that's what I did with my other pretentious friends. Gawd I was such a caricature. Anyways, On the Road (yes, I realize it was one of the most populars...) was never read

The Woman in White by Wilkie Collins - Uh, I know that I'll definitely read and finish this one. I'm doing it this month (after Rebecca) for Allie's read along. Yay!


6 comments:

  1. I plan to read the Alice Walker and Shirley Jackson books this year too!

    I hope you like The Painted Veil.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I wanna read The Color Purple too..

    Mary Roach is on my list of must read authors for this year. I think I'll start with Bonk, lol. I have unfortunately had to see dead bodies for my job and maybe it's just the context I see them in but it's awful and I'd be afraid to read that book!

    I read Ceremony too!!! I don't remember too much about it because it was in high school but I remember appreciating it even then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So many good books!

    I loved The Color Purple (book and movie). It is simply wonderful. I still have it on my list, so maybe I'll grab it too!

    Ceremony is one of my challenge books for the TBR challenge and I am so excited to read it (especially after Eva's review).

    And The Painted Veil was excellent!

    Oh, and I just started the Collins last night and I am hooked. It is definitely a good follow-up to Rebecca. It has that same creepy vibe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I really do need to read the Shirley Jackson one too. Stiff appeals to me too. Dead bodies don't really scare me either. I want to read The Woman in White too.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is an incredible list that I support whole-heartedly! ENJOY.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Treat yourself to Mary Roach ... I "discovered" her last year and she quickly became a favorite. I just used a gift card I got to get your latest on about space travel.

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!