3.31.2011

Beastly

Title: Beastly
Author: Alex Flynn
Pub: Harper Teen;  2007
Pages: 336
Genre: Young Adult, Fairy Tale Retelling

Yes, yes, I will admit to you all...I only read this book because the movie looks SO GOOD.  And part of me feels guilty if there is a book out there in the world waiting to be read competing with a 2 hour film.  Especially if the book is a young adult and one that I could probably read in a couple of hours.

Beastly, although read in a wee bit more than a couple of hours, was a fun light-hearted book that kept me entertained whilst working out.

It is the same telling of Beauty and the Beast with a few differences.  It's very contemporary and my favorite aspect were the chatroom discussions.  The Beast finds himself in a transformation chat room with other fairy tale characters ranting about their unfortunate condition.  Love, love, LOVED this.  I think it's something that the kids can totally relate to.

Overall this was a fun read.  I think that my kids will adore it as soon as I place it on my shelves in my classroom.  Especially because I know a lot of them aren't very familiar with Beauty and the Beast.  (I wonder if that's a cultural thing?)

Secretively, I'm sorta thinking that this one might be better in the film version.  But, shhhh...you didn't hear that from me!

6 comments:

  1. Not familiar with Beauty and the Beast? Huh--curious about that.

    Honestly, not sure I could get past the visuals in the movie (I know--isn't that the point of the Beast?)--hope you enjoy the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like it might be a good one for the Once Upon a Time challenge. Adding it to my list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am just gobsmacked that Trish has never heard of Beauty and The Beast! LOL.

    I do have this one and should read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL--I should have made my statement clearer, I guess. ;) I was referring to Christina's statement about her students not being familiar with Beauty and the Beast. Seems like such a prevalent and classic story!

    Don't get me started, Viv--I could sing you the entire Disney soundtrack. Little Town--it's a quiet village. Everyday like the one before... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I read Beastly a few months ago. I really liked it. I think the movie may be better as well, but I haven't seen it yet. I still really want to though.

    Today at the library I picked up Cloaked. I'm hoping I'm not disappointed by it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I read the book last BEA and really enjoyed it. And I just saw the movie last week! I liked the book better, but that's just always the case with me. :)

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!