10.22.2012

Shiver (Audio)

Title: Shiver
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Narrator: Jenna Lamia & David Ledoux
Pub: Scholastic Press;2009
Pages: 392
Audio Length: 9 hours and 44 minutes
Genre: Paranormal, Fantasy, Romance, Series, Young Adult

I am not a big werewolf fan.  I can totally get into the vamp scene.  After all THEY'RE sparkly.  But werewolves are right up there with zombies.  ESPECIALLY if we're talking romance.  I mean...animals or the undead?  No thank you.

So. I had no desire whatsoever to read the Shiver trilogy.  (1) It's about wolves and (2) it's a trilogy.  But then I listened to The Scorpio Races which moved me from a horse-hating fool who ended up eating her own words and adoring it and I figured if there was anyone out there who would convince me that werewolves don't suck, it would be Ms. Stiefvater.

And I guess she sorta did.  There is a huge truth in the fact that Stiefvater researches her folklore and then takes those amazing stories and turns them into her own.  Because of THAT, I utterly dig the 'behind the scenes' of these weres, their mythos was pretty okay.

Still.  She didn't sell me enough to necessarily want to finish the trilogy.  I'm pretty okay with how the story ended in the first book and although it's not as though life is resolved, I can walk away from it peacefully.

And the narration? Definitely a winner.  I enjoy the two narrators for alternating chapters. I don't think it would have been as fantastic without that element.

4 comments:

  1. I really enjoyed Stiefvater's story of The Scorpio Races in audio and loved the narrators, not to mention the music, which was played by the author herself! She is quite the talented and creative individual. I really need to read more of her work, and I'm thinking of getting her newest, The Raven Boys, on audio. I've been thinking about Shiver, but it's tough for me to get into trilogies lately!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm not sure Stiefvater can do anything wrong? I've loved everything by her I've read! I'm reading The Raven Boys right now and, while it's early days, I think it might be her best yet. I really enjoyed the audio to Shiver, so much so I've had trouble going to the next one because they changed the boy narrator. Still, I'll get to it eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't read anything by Stiefvater, but I've heard great things. I don't dig trilogies either so I've been avoiding this one. If I do decide to read it, I'll probably go with the audio like you. Glad it worked out for you. I definitely want to read Scorpio Races, though. Yay for standalone books!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I definitely agree with you. I had read Shiver in print and wasn't impressed. I ended up getting a free copy of the audio from somewhere and decided to give it another shot. The audiobook totally made me revise my opinion of the story, and I ended up finishing the series. The narrators were so good, and yes, Stiefvater definitely does her research!

    ReplyDelete

Talk to me!